What I enjoy most about practising law is helping my clients reach their aims, whether they be solving a problem, completing a transaction or making plans for the future. I provide quality legal services so my clients understand their legal options and can make informed, strategic decisions to achieve their personal or business objectives.
Each client has distinct individual needs. I respond with appropriate, effective, and timely advice, documents or information. My personal goal is that every client with whom I work will feel confident relying on me for future work and has the confidence in my services and results to refer me to their friends and family.
Prior to attending university, Jason participated in the Rotary Youth Exchange Program, attending El Colegio Bacchillerato del Sur in Minatitlan, Mexico, developing an intermediate fluency in Spanish that he maintains today. He then travelled to Montreal and attended McGill University graduating in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.Honours), majoring in Political Science with a minor in Economics. Jason returned to British Columbia to attend the Faculty of Law at the University of Victoria where he obtained his Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) in 1995. Before completing his articles, Jason worked with what was then known as Revenue Canada for three years. He then articled with a Vancouver law firm and was called to the British Columbia Bar in March 2001. Jason practiced business and estate law at the Vancouver law firm for nine years, before starting Lawyers West LLP with two other colleagues in August 2010.
Jason has provided advice and legal services on a wide range of corporate / commercial matters, wills and estates, real estate transactions and tax law. He has guided clients establishing a business or taking their business to the next level with advice on:
- whether to incorporate, operate as a proprietor, or form a partnership;
- if incorporating, how to structure the company;
- drafting shareholder or partnership agreements; and,
- dealing with some of the unique corporate management issues to a family-run business.
Jason has managed business transactions for his clients from the initial negotiation of the letter of intent to the completion of the transaction. These matters have ranged from complicated multi-million dollar acquisitions to the merger of multiple companies to the purchase and sale of small family businesses. These business clients, large and small, have been able to continue to draw on Jason’s expertise for their day-to-day or operational issues including:
- employment matters;
- leases, both as landlord and tenant;
- liquor licensing;
- product licensing;
- contractual disputes; and,
His tax background and experience have enabled him to resolve tax issues for businesses and individuals and he has appeared for his clients in Tax Court of Canada and Federal Court in defence of such claims. Jason has advised clients of various ages on estate planning, each having personal circumstances that may impact their objectives. Issues such as multiple marriages, children from those marriages, cultural considerations respecting inheritance and potential beneficiaries with special needs, unstable relationships or leading dysfunctional lives all could impact an Estate plan. While working with clients to meet their needs, Jason has:
- drafted Powers of Attorney and Representation Agreements to appoint appropriate representatives in case of need;
- worked with financial advisors to protect and preserve the assets of an Estate balancing wishes while minimizing the implications of taxes; and,
- prepared trusts and Wills to ensure wishes are honoured and protected from challenges by others.
When a client has suffered the loss of a family member, Jason has assisted clients:
- to obtain Probate and Letters of Administration for an Estate;
- with the administration of an Estates by Executors and Trustees;
- transferring property under an Estate; and,
- where appropriate, challenge the actions of Executors and Trustees.
Jason is a member of the CBA Subsections: Business Law, Commercial and Real Estate, Employment Law, Real Property, Taxation, Wills & Trusts
In addition to in-house presentations on Wills and Estate Planning, Jason has presented in the area of Estate Planning and Taxation:
- February 2008, Vancouver Wellness Show: Topic of Legal Wellness: Taking care of your Will,Power of Attorney and Representation Agreements
- October 2009, Estate and Tax Planning seminar, co-hosted with the Investors Group Coquitlam
- January 2010, Estate and Tax Planning seminar, co-hosted with the Investors Group Coquitlam
Upcoming seminars on Family and Business Succession Planning and Trusts to be co-hosted with the Investors Group Coquitlam in 2011.
- Rotary Club of Coquitlam Sunrise: Active Member (since 2003) and Past President (2006 – 2007)
- Operation Red Nose Volunteer (Since 2007)
- District Chair for Rotary District 5050 Youth Exchange Program