I am a problem solver. My practice focuses on client service and results. Cost effectiveness, professional conduct, reliable legal opinions, accurate budgets, and results consistent with recommendations are key components of my strategy for helping clients achieve their objectives and resolve their disputes. I enjoy practicing law, educating the public on legal rights, and helping people effectively resolve their legal issues. I am committed to volunteering time to help my community and my profession.
Julie Fisher graduated from the University of Victoria with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), First Class, in Psychology in 1991 and received her Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) in 1995. Julie was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1996 and was appointed Standing Amicus Curiae for Citizenship Appeals in Vancouver by the Department of Justice in October, 1996. Julie practiced at a Vancouver law firm for fifteen years thereafter opening Lawyers West with two other colleagues in August 2010.
Julie has appeared as counsel at the British Columbia Provincial Court, Supreme Court, and Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada Trial Division and Appeal Division, and with senior leading counsel at the Supreme Court of Canada (see: Jacobi v. Griffiths,  2 S.C.R. 570 on vicarious liability of a charitable organizations).
Julie has resolved hundreds of matters for her clients either before litigation has commenced or after litigation has been commenced and through settlement demands, negotiations, or formal mediation.
She has particular experience with: disability benefit claims and persons denied their long term disability, short term disability, CPP disability, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness insurance claims; motor vehicle or auto accident claims, personal injury actions, and medical rehabilitation claims against ICBC and out of province insurers; other personal injury claims; estate litigation and redistribution or challenges to a Will or estate proceeds; insurance disputes and subrogation; property damage, defective construction; product failure; contract disputes; privacy demands or breaches; corporate and business disputes; and other general or commercial litigation matters for business clients or personal clients.
Julie is a member and Legal Referral Help Desk lawyer with the Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia, past co-Chair and member of the Mentoring Committee for the Women Lawyers Forum, and subsection member for Insurance, Freedom of Information and Privacy Law, Construction, Products Liability Loss, Civil Litigation, Wills and Trusts, and Charities and Non-Profit Law.
She has presented on a wide variety of legal topics and issues to insurance groups, non-profit societies and associations, community clubs, and Canadian Bar Association events.
Publications and presentations include:
- Tips for Managing Your Own Disability Claim
- The Frontiers of Tort Law: Privacy Issues for Insurance Subsection
- BC Health Care Costs Recovery Act, A Practical Overview
- Amendments to BC Insurance Act
- Coverage for a General Contractor under a CGL Policy
- Limitation Period in BC Insurance Act
- Privacy Law – What Does It Mean for You?
- Developments in Employment Law
- Ten Top Tips From Ten Top Mentors
- Art of Communication for Women Lawyers Forum
- Coquitlam Foundation – Policy Committee, Events Committee, past Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary/Director since 2007
- Rotary Club of Coquitlam Sunrise – Paul Harris Fellow awarded 2012, Supporter, and Guest Speaker since 2005
- Rotary International Youth Exchange Program for District 50/50 – Supporter, Host Parent, past co-Coordinator since 2008
- Maple Creek Middle School Parents Advisory Council (PAC) – Chair, Fundraising Committee since 2014
- Canadian Parents for French (CPF) – PAC Liaison/Grant Writer 2011-2013
- Public Disability Seminar – Coordinator and Speaker since 2003
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch – Guest Speaker/Legal Referral Help Desk/Member since 1995
- Tri-Cities Chamber of Commerce – Member/ past member of Membership Development Committee, since 2010
- Snap’d Tri-Cities – monthly articles on legal developments since 2010
- Avonlea Heights Strata Council – Secretary for Bare Land Strata since 2006